Creating Labels

Discuss the spreadsheet application

Creating Labels

Postby openkeppy2013 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi All,

Not sure if this question should be in spreadsheet or database forum ??
This is my first venture into Open Office and initial impression is good.

Question

I have a spreadsheet of names and addresses etc.
Is it possible to create address LABELS direct from my spreadsheet or do i have to create a database for the data ?
Any other advice on label creation would be appreciated.

Regards
Kep
Open office x 3.3 Windows 7 64bit
openkeppy2013

Re: Creating Labels

Postby acknak » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

For a nice article giving step-by-step instructions for mail merge, see: http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/art ... office_org
AOO 4 • Linux • Fedora 17
acknak

Postby openkeppy2013 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:52 pm

HI
Reading the info supplied it appears i have to have the data in a database and not in a spreadsheet.

Is there a method of creating a database from my spreadsheet .... either sending data to create database or creating a db and then importing the spreadsheet data.
Thanks for any replies
kep
Open office x 3.3 Windows 7 64bit
openkeppy2013

Postby Villeroy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:13 pm

openkeppy2013 wrote:HI
Reading the info supplied it appears i have to have the data in a database and not in a spreadsheet.

No. You can have your data in various kinds of "true databases", in dBase files, in some email address book, in text files and in spreadsheets.
Instead of conversion, copy&paste or import you simply connect a Base document to what you already have. Base serves as a bridge between some tabular source of data and the office documents you want to fill with data (labels, serial letters, calculation models etc.). The data remain in the original source. Nothing gets converted nor imported. Base provides a link to your existing data.
Finally, you can build your office documents without bothering if the source is a spreadsheet, a text file or some database server.

For various reasons, spreadsheets are not the optimal type of data source but if you already have your spreadsheet, then make use of it.
Yesterday's topic where I describe how to turn a single sheet in a spreadsheet document into a dBase table which is editable directly in the data source window: https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... 61#p292461
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 12.04, Apache OpenOffice 4.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Return to Calc