Spell checker "red wriggly lines" - beta test fix

Home made tutorials, by users, for users
Forum rules
No question in this forum please
For any question related to a topic, create a new thread in the relevant section.

Spell checker "red wriggly lines" - beta test fix

Postby John_Ha » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:05 am

Please note this is a BETA Test - only use this if directed to do so by a forum responder.

Edit: Please try this to fix spell check problems.

Please post below and let us know what happened.

Did it fix the wriggly lines? Did it cause other problems?

If you get red wriggly lines under every word you type it is because AOO has "lost contact" with the dictionary and is therefore flagging every word as misspelled.

The following macro has been written by hanya with a view to fixing the problem easily. It is likely that the code will be included with future releases of AOO in which case only Steps 5 onwards will be needed.

These instructions are based on Windows 7. Windows 8 and Windows 10 should be almost identical. Apple Mac and Linux should be similar.

0 You will first need to make hidden files visible by Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View > select Show hidden files, folders and drives. In Windows 10, go File Explorer > View (Ribbon tab) > Options ... to open the Folder Options/File Explorer Options window.

1 Navigate to C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\Scripts (where xxxxxx is your username) and open the folder. right-click inside the folder > New > Folder ..., and create a new folder called python. Note: you must use all lower case letters for "python" or Writer will not see the file.

2 Download the attached config_backend_cleaner.py.zip file and place it on the desktop.

3 Double click config_backend_cleaner.py.zip file to open it > right-click config_backend_cleaner.py > Copy. This takes a copy of the file.

4 Go back to C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\Scripts\python > right-click inside the folder > Paste. This pastes the file config_backend_cleaner.py into the folder ...\python.

5 Close OpenOffice.

6 If you run the quickstarter, close it as well. [Start > Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools > Open Task Manager > Processes > left click on Image name (to sort the processes in alphabetical order). Now right-click each soffice.exe and soffice.bin > click End Process - they will all disappear.]

7 Start OpenOffice

8 Go Tools > Macros > Organize Macros > Python > click the [+] by My Macros > click the [+] by config_backend_cleaner > click on cleanup > click Run

9 Close OpenOffice

10 Start OpenOffice

The problem should be fixed.

In the unlikely event that there was a problem with any of your dictionaries, they may need to be removed and reinstalled by Tools > Extension Manager if required.

Edit: Edited to correct the path in Step 8 
Attachments
config_backend_cleaner.py.zip
Python macro to fix spell check problems - unzip to extract the macro
(5.45 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Last edited by John_Ha on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.
AOO 4.1.3, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the up to date Writer guide for information. Click the Help button on a pop-up window for extensive help on that function.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Spell checker "red wriggly lines" - beta test fix

Postby ME-NOT-YOU » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:19 pm

As requested,

I have tried your Macro patch, and it has had the desired results, thank you.

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
Win 7 Ultimate running OpenOffice 4.1
ME-NOT-YOU

Postby wildfire77 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:44 pm

This saved my spellcheck. Thank you! :super:
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10 Home
wildfire77

Postby TFKidd » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:40 pm

I came across this problem all of a sudden and it drives me crazy. I have been trying to fix it even to the point of uninstalling and reinstalling new version. To no luck. I came across this and WALLA it fixed. Thank You SO MUCH. Now I can work without having to :knock: in Annoyance. Thank Again :super:
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3
Windows 10 64B
TFKidd

Postby jeffs12 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:53 am

The macro worked - Thanks!
However, the config_backend_cleaner appeared under My Macros rather than OpenOfficeMacros.
AOO 4.1.3 on M$ Windows 7/10
jeffs12

Postby John_Ha » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:35 am

jeffs12 wrote:The macro worked - Thanks!
However, the config_backend_cleaner appeared under My Macros rather than OpenOfficeMacros.

I'm not sure why that happened, but it does not matter as long as you could find and run it.

We hope that the macro will be included with AOO 4.1.4 so users will just be able to access it and run it.

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the up to date Writer guide for information. Click the Help button on a pop-up window for extensive help on that function.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby jeffs12 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:29 am

John_Ha - Thanks for the reply.

FYI, another issue I found - a couple of days after I ran the fix I was unable to run database reports created with the Oracle Report Builder extension. I don't know if this was a symptom of the profile crash or running the fix as I had not tried running a report after the crash but before the fix. It took a bit of work to force the extension back in but once I got it back in the reports worked fine.
AOO 4.1.3 on M$ Windows 7/10
jeffs12

Postby John_Ha » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:14 am

I doubt that was caused by the macro.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby W.Goepner » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:02 am

OMG! I missed the show hidden files, thanks for the patch!
Open Office 4.1.3
Win 10
W.Goepner

Postby 1Parcham » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:10 pm

Wow, this actually fixed my problem!! Thanks so much!! I was about to give up after going through all the steps in the troubleshooting guide! I use Open Office every day, some of my documents are over 400 pages and then, all of a sudden, every line was underlined with the red squiggly line saying it was misspelled. I was about to panic! But, thanks to this fix, problem solved! Yeah!
Open Office 4.1.3
Windows 10 Home
1Parcham

Postby RoryOF » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:47 pm

While we cannot say for certain, it appears that this problem may often occur with over-hasty power off of your computer. We recommend using the formal computer shut down process, then waiting a few seconds after the "OK to power off" message before hitting the power switch or snapping a laptop lid shut. Wait for disk activity to finish - information is cached within the write buffers of the hard drives and it takes a few seconds for the drive to decide to write it. If you power off too hastily this information is not written and some or all of the OO housekeeping information is lost.

Edit: Be advised: over-hasty power off as outlined above may also cause damage or catastrophic loss to your document. The few extra seconds of waiting while disk activity ceases will, even cumulatively, be much less than the time needed to attempt to recover, or, more likely, to rewrite a damaged or lost document. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Xubuntu 16.04 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
14 October 2016 was Pooh's 90th birthday
RoryOF

Postby 1Parcham » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:16 am

That is very possible. I know last night I shut down Open Office and immediately shut down my computer. I was in a rush and shut my laptop before it finished powering off which I don't usually do. Perhaps that did cause the problem.
Open Office 4.1.3
Windows 10 Home
1Parcham

Postby fessbonneville » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:03 pm

Worked for me. Thanks you very much!
:bravo:
open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 10
fessbonneville

Postby John_Ha » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:25 pm

1Parcham wrote:That is very possible. I know last night I shut down Open Office and immediately shut down my computer. I was in a rush and shut my laptop before it finished powering off which I don't usually do. Perhaps that did cause the problem.

I am trying to debug problems like this and I am hoping you can help me.

Can you please tell me exactly what your laptop does when you close the lid. Go Start > Settings > Power and Sleep. left-click the Additional Power settings link (bottom right). left-click the Choose what closing the lid does link (top left).

Question 1: What does it say for When I close the lid on battery, and When I close the lid plugged in? See image below.

Question 2: Were you running on battery? or plugged in? when you closed the lid.

Question 3: Can you please describe exactly what steps you took in detail. Something like "I was running plugged in. I clicked Save to save the document I was editing. I closed Writer by clicking the X at top right. I shut the lid ... or I pressed the OFF button and then shut the lid ..." or whatever it was that you actually did

Many thanks

Edit: 1parcham send me a detailed description of what was done - many thanks. 
Attachments
Clipboard01.png

John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby Jigbusteruk » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:11 pm

The script in "python" solved the problem for me - thanks!
The file path wasn't quite what you gave. Instead of "Folder Options" I had to use "File Explorer Options" - perhaps a quirk of my version of Windows 10?
Tony
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
Jigbusteruk

Postby Bill » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Jigbusteruk wrote:The file path wasn't quite what you gave. Instead of "Folder Options" I had to use "File Explorer Options" - perhaps a quirk of my version of Windows 10?
Tony

"Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View" is a sequence of mouse clicks, not a file path. The Control Panel is being phased out in Windows 10 and the Control Panel has been removed from the Start menu, so the click sequence isn't valid in Windows 10. However, clicking Start and searching for "folder options" finds "File Explorer Options" in what's left of the Control Panel, but the easiest way to change the view options is to click the View tab on the Ribbon in File Explorer.
AOO 4.1.3 on 64-bit Windows 10 and Antergos Linux
Bill
Volunteer

Return to Tutorials