Create a shortcut to place a special character in Writer

Discuss the word processor

Create a shortcut to place a special character in Writer

Postby Cliff S » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:08 pm

How can I create a shortcut to place a special character in OO writer ver 4.1.5. Tnx
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 10
Cliff S
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:54 am

Re: create a shortcut to place a special character in OO wri

Postby Zizi64 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:45 pm

How can I create a shortcut to place a special character in OO writer ver 4.1.5. Tnx


- You can write a macro, and then you can assign the macro to a shortcut key.
- You can use the built-in autocorrect feature: the feature will substitute the caller code (a "word") to the special character (another "word"). This feature of the newer LibreOffice can substitute a code to a special character inside the words...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO4.4.7, LO5.4.7 on Win7x64Prof.
PortableApps, winPenPack: LO3.3.0-LO6.1.0 and AOO4.1.5
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
User avatar
Zizi64
Volunteer
 
Posts: 6980
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 7:55 am
Location: Budapest, Hungary

Re: create a shortcut to place a special character in OO wri

Postby MrProgrammer » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:43 pm

Cliff S wrote:How can I create a shortcut to place a special character in OO writer ver 4.1.5. Tnx
See Help → Index → AutoText. AutoText can insert (via a shortcut) not only characters, but tables, graphics, fields, or even complete paragraphs. You can store the insertion as formatted or unformatted. The latter takes the formatting currently in use at the insertion point. That is probably what you'd want when inserting a "special character".

Please don't multi-post. It's considered rude. I have reported your other post to the forum moderators.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.5 Build 9789 on Mac OS 10.11.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
User avatar
MrProgrammer
Volunteer
 
Posts: 3406
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: create a shortcut to place a special character in OO wri

Postby FJCC » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:32 pm

There is an extension dedicated to inserting special characters: https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/compose-special-characters. I use it to insert accented vowels and find it easy to use.
AOO 3.4 or 4.1 on MS Windows XP ( before 2013-08-03) or Windows 7
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC
Moderator
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:08 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: create a shortcut to place a special character in OO wri

Postby John_Ha » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:54 pm

1. Record a macro while inserting it manually.
2. Place an icon on a toolbar to run the macro.

See [Tutorial] How to record a macro (and Regular Expressions).

This macro inserts a large or small bullet at the cursor location.

Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
sub Bullet
'
'   inserts a  small or large bullet at the cursor position.
'   Small [2022], large [25CF]
'
rem ----------------------------------------------------------------------
rem define variables
dim document   as object
dim dispatcher as object
rem ----------------------------------------------------------------------
rem get access to the document
document   = ThisComponent.CurrentController.Frame
dispatcher = createUnoService("com.sun.star.frame.DispatchHelper")
dim args1(1) as new com.sun.star.beans.PropertyValue
rem ----------------------------------------------------------------------
'jh MsgBox(prompt, buttons, title)
'jh buttons = 1 means 2 buttons - OK (resp = 1) and CANCEL (resp = 2)
'jh buttons = 4 means 2 buttons - YES (resp = 6) and NO (resp = 7)

   response = MsgBox( "Large?",4,"Large or small?")  ' YES and NO buttons

   If (response = 6) Then                  ' 6 = YES, I want large

rem ----------------------------------------------------------------------

args1(0).Name = "Symbols"
args1(0).Value = "  ●  "                 ' large
args1(1).Name = "FontName"
args1(1).Value = "Times New Roman"

dispatcher.executeDispatch(document, ".uno:InsertSymbol", "", 0, args1())   

   Else       '   Response is 7 = NO, give me small

args1(0).Name = "Symbols"
args1(0).Value = "  •  "                 ' small
args1(1).Name = "FontName"
args1(1).Value = "Times New Roman"

dispatcher.executeDispatch(document, ".uno:InsertSymbol", "", 0, args1())

   EndIf

end sub


Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
AOO 4.1.5, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer
 
Posts: 5656
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:51 pm
Location: UK

Re: create a shortcut to place a special character in OO wri

Postby RoryOF » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:01 pm

It may be worth pointing out that if one wishes to use Find and Replace to Find or Replace a special character, it is not possible to copy the special character directly from /Insert /Special character to either the Find or Replace windows. One needs to insert the special character into a document, then one can copy and paste it into the F or R windows.

This is the way it is - if you don't like it, volunteers are always welcome to work on OO code.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Xubuntu 18.04 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
14 October 2016 was Pooh's 90th birthday
User avatar
RoryOF
Moderator
 
Posts: 26913
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:30 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: create a shortcut to place a special character in OO wri

Postby Cliff S » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:29 pm

MrProgrammer wrote:
Cliff S wrote:How can I create a shortcut to place a special character in OO writer ver 4.1.5. Tnx
See Help → Index → AutoText. AutoText can insert (via a shortcut) not only characters, but tables, graphics, fields, or even complete paragraphs. You can store the insertion as formatted or unformatted. The latter takes the formatting currently in use at the insertion point. That is probably what you'd want when inserting a "special character".

Please don't multi-post. It's considered rude. I have reported your other post to the forum moderators.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.


My apologies, you consider it rude. I can't for life of me figure how asking two separate questions could offend anyone. Why would anyone care?
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 10
Cliff S
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:54 am

Re: create a shortcut to place a special character in OO wri

Postby Cliff S » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:31 pm

RoryOF wrote:It may be worth pointing out that if one wishes to use Find and Replace to Find or Replace a special character, it is not possible to copy the special character directly from /Insert /Special character to either the Find or Replace windows. One needs to insert the special character into a document, then one can copy and paste it into the F or R windows.

This is the way it is - if you don't like it, volunteers are always welcome to work on OO code.


Who told you that I don't like it. Why the hostility, just trying to learn how too solve a problem.
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 10
Cliff S
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:54 am

Re: create a shortcut to place a special character in OO wri

Postby John_Ha » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:39 pm

Cliff S wrote:I can't for life of me figure how asking two separate questions could offend anyone. Why would anyone care?

Because it wastes responders' time answering two identical questions or having to get the moderators to lock one of the questions.

Please read Survival Guide for the forum which says
No multi- or cross-posting.
It leads to several discussions and a waste of time because several identical answers may be posted by different users. If a question is related to 2 components, put the thread where it fits the best and leave a note (use red bold font), a moderator can create a link in the other forum pointing to your thread.
AOO 4.1.5, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer
 
Posts: 5656
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:51 pm
Location: UK


Return to Writer

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests