[Solved] Spellchecker problem

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Spellchecker problem

Postby Greyflash » Mon May 20, 2013 9:16 pm

I don't normally get involved with forums. BUT I just registered with this one to express my appreciation and relief at having a very, very frustrating problem solved.

The problem was with the spellchecker in Open Office 3. For no apparent reason it "lost" its (standard English) dictionary and was querying every single word I typed. After hours of searching on various forums, I found the solution in -

[Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile

Postby Hagar Delest » Sun Nov 23, 2008

Easy to follow, although I still don't understand how my profile was corrupted or why that affects the spellchecker (!!??!!) The main thing is, the problem is now solved. Thank you Hagar.

:D :bravo: :D :super:
Open Office 3.4.1 on Wondows Vista
Greyflash

Re: [Solved] Spellchecker problem

Postby Hagar Delest » Mon May 20, 2013 10:48 pm

Welcome! Thanks for the kind words!

Difficult to say for the corruption. Since most of the customization is now in a single file (registrymodifications.xcu), a single problem may wreck the whole file...
Note that if you upgraded, new configuration files may behave differently and then lead to such inconsistencies.
AOO 4.1.1 on Windows 7 and Xubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr)
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Spellchecker problem

Postby Greyflash » Tue May 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks for that Hagar. Good to see you're still "on the ball."

I don't begin to understand half of this. It was most useful to understand that even uninstalling and re-installing the beast (which I had tried) would not help. As you suggested, I found that I had two previous profiles registered and have changed the names of both. Life used to be so simple but it's reassuring to know there ARE people like you out there to guide us through the maze.
Open Office 3.4.1 on Wondows Vista
Greyflash

Return to Writer