[Solved] Creating section breaks

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Creating section breaks

Postby nealt » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:58 pm

I thought that to create a section break one clicks on Insert->sections...then Insert in the dialog box. However this seems to do nothing. I want to create a new section on a new page with a different number of columns.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Openoffice 3.2 on Mac OS 10.6
nealt

Re: Creating section breaks

Postby Hagar Delest » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:03 pm

Have you set the columns before creating the section?
What happens when you go to Format>Sections?
AOO 4.1.1 on Windows 7 and Xubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr)
Hagar Delest

Postby floris v » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:30 pm

I can do Insert - Section, select the Columns tab and select the number of columns I want, then the section is inserted with that number of columns.
If you want the section to start a new page, and want to have entire pages with that number of columns, you should really use page styles. First make a new page style with the number of columns that you want, then Insert - manual break - page, and select your new page style from the list before confirming with OK.
MS Windows Vista - AOO 4.1.1 - LibreOffice 4.3.
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v

Postby Bill » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:45 pm

nealt wrote:I thought that to create a section break one clicks on Insert->sections...then Insert in the dialog box. However this seems to do nothing. I want to create a new section on a new page with a different number of columns.

There are no section breaks in Writer. To change the number of columns on a new page, you have to create a new page style where you specify the number of columns you want on the new page, then insert a page break in the document and specify thye new page style on the Insert Break dialog.
Bill

Postby floris v » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:04 am

Bill wrote:
nealt wrote:I thought that to create a section break one clicks on Insert->sections...then Insert in the dialog box. However this seems to do nothing. I want to create a new section on a new page with a different number of columns.

There are no section breaks in Writer. To change the number of columns on a new page, you have to create a new page style where you specify the number of columns you want on the new page, then insert a page break in the document and specify thye new page style on the Insert Break dialog.

The sections in Writer differ from those in Word. Writer doesn't have the section breaks of Word, instead it has page style breaks or rather manual page breaks.
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v

Postby RoryOF » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:10 am

The section structure in OpenOffice allows a section to start mid-page, so that to put in some short columns on a page, one inserts section, chooses number of columns, then inserts another section afterwards with one column to revert to normal. If you want full page columns, you can define a page style which uses columns.

The best solution is to try it on a new file to get the hang of it, rather than work on an important document in progress.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Xubuntu 14.04 and Win2K/XP
Offline until 29 October 2014.
RoryOF

Postby acknak » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:16 am

You can do it either way: by a page break+page style change, if you want the new layout to start (and end) at a page boundary, or by a section with columns if you need to change layout in the middle of a page.

Also, be aware that Writer's sections have no direct correlation with document sections (headings).
AOO 4 • Linux • Fedora 17
acknak

Postby nealt » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:36 pm

I tried using a 2 column page style on a new page. It changed the style of all the previous pages. How do I tell Writer to only apply to the new page?
nealt

Postby floris v » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:40 pm

floris v wrote:I can do Insert - Section, select the Columns tab and select the number of columns I want, then the section is inserted with that number of columns.
If you want the section to start a new page, and want to have entire pages with that number of columns, you should really use page styles. First make a new page style with the number of columns that you want, then Insert - manual break - page, and select your new page style from the list before confirming with OK.

Don't just apply a page style or page style related formatting to a single page, it doesn't work that way as you have just found.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v

Postby nealt » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:24 am

So what am I supposed to do?
nealt

Postby floris v » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:29 am

Either work with page styles, then follow my instructions in boldface. Or insert a section with two columns and Cut-Paste all text into it that you want in two columns.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v

Postby nealt » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:17 am

As I said before applying the suggested procedure results in both the new page and the preceding page to become 2 columns. Also the new page style is not being saved as a new document will not have the new style listed.
nealt

Postby floris v » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:20 am

Then you're not following the instructions, and you may be saving in Word format - and that can get you into a lot of trouble.
So please describe exactly what you are doing to get that result. Then we can tell you what you're doing wrong.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v

Postby nealt » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:33 am

OK I got it to work on the open document. I went to Files-> styles and formatting. I created a new style of two columns called Columns. I then used manual break with the Columns selected.
Fine that worked. I saved the document in .odt format. I then closed the document and opened a new document. The new page style I created is gone. Obviously it was not saved. So how do I save this new style?
nealt

Postby floris v » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:40 am

Strictly speaking that's off topic. Please stick to one subject per topic.

OOo Writer isn't MS Word. It doesn't have an unwieldy Normal.dot template stuffed with all changes that you make in paragraph, character and page style settings. Any styles that you make are only saved in the file in which you make them - unless you save that file as a template. If you want to use that two columns page style in more documents, you'll have to make a blank document with that extra page style, then you must save it as a template. Then do File - New - Templates & Documents and select your new template every time you want to start a document with that page style.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v

Postby nealt » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:45 am

Boy is that inconvenient. There must be a way to add styles to the default list that OO provides. Otherwise I go back to ms word.
nealt

Postby Hagar Delest » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:09 am

Create a custom template: [Tutorial] Creating a new default template.

I tag this topic as solved, please create a new one if further questions.
AOO 4.1.1 on Windows 7 and Xubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr)
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Creating section breaks

Postby nealt » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:53 pm

It is not solved! I do not want to change the default template. I want to be able to save a page style that can be used on many documents.
nealt

Postby floris v » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:05 pm

nealt wrote:It is not solved! I do not want to change the default template. I want to be able to save a page style that can be used on many documents.

That relates to your second question. Please read Survival Guide for the forum.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v

Postby RoryOF » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:46 pm

nealt wrote:It is not solved! I do not want to change the default template. I want to be able to save a page style that can be used on many documents.

Page styles are embedded in the templates. If you need your new style in all files, you need to change your default template.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Xubuntu 14.04 and Win2K/XP
Offline until 29 October 2014.
RoryOF

Postby Bill » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:40 pm

There is no default template until you create one. The default page styles are hard-coded in the program, not in a template. You can't save new page styles in the program. You can only save new page styles in a document or a template.
Bill

Return to Writer