Problems with Word document Tables in 4.1.4 and 4.1.5

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here

Problems with Word document Tables in 4.1.4 and 4.1.5

Postby victorfrankl » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:55 pm

I often create tables in my odt test files to organize data. After upgrading to 4.1.4, I created some odt test filess with tables and saved them to a folder. When I opened the folder those files were not visible.
The plain text file was accessible but not the ons with tables. I was able to find the tables in a Windows search which showed them existing in the folder but not visible through Windows file manager. I was able to open some in the search view. But I cannot access them through the folder. As soon as I saved them and closed down, they disappeared again. One file with a table did save to the folder but when I tried to open it I got a pop-up for ASCII filter options. If I click ok- the file opens up all in hashmarks.
Thank you
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
victorfrankl

Re: Problems with Word document Tables in 4.1.4 and 4.1.5

Postby John_Ha » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:15 pm

1. Are you sure the files have the .odt qualifier after them? Try downloading test.odt and placing it in the folder.

2. If you open a file and you get the ASCII filter it means the file is a flat ASCII or .txt file. If you open what you think is a .odt file and you get the ASCII filter and the document is full of #####, it means the file is corrupted beyond repair and is full of NULL characters.
Attachments
test.odt
(8.78 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
AOO 4.1.5, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Advanced Uses